About   |   Contact Us  
Sites

Ammunition Hill




The site most closely associated with the Six Day War in Jerusalem is Ammunition Hill. It was here that IDF soldiers fought bitter battles in 1967, in which many soldiers fell defending Jerusalem from Jordanian legions. 
 
Ammunition Hill is located near the Ramat Eshkol and Maalot Dafna neighborhoods. During the British Mandate, there was a police officer training school ammunition bunker here. In 1948, the Jordanians captured the site and held it until 1967. The Jordanians planted it with mines and surrounded it with barbed wire. Inside the post there were communication trenches, covered cement pillars, and antitanks directed towards Jerusalem. 
 
In 1967 Israeli paratroopers captured the site in a tough battle that continued for 3 days and claimed the lives of 36 fighters. The site preserves the Jordanian fortifications and eternalizes the battle with displays at the museum on location. Visitors to the museum can follow the course of the battle with maps, aerial photographs, and diagrams. One of the walls has a memorial with the names of the 182 soldiers that fell in battles for Jerusalem in the Six Day War.