The Knesset (The Israeli Parliament)
The Israeli Knesset was founded in April 1920, during the British Mandate, as the first official authority of the Jews living in Israel in the late modern period. The Knesset soon became Israel's official legislative agency, also holding authority over the chief rabbinate and community councils.
After the Israeli Declaration of Independence, the Knesset was disunited, and the House of Representatives was founded in its stead, still under the same symbolic name.
Today, The Knesset functions as both the Israeli parliament and as Israel’s House of Representatives, and a home to representatives belonging to all parties in Israel, elected once in four years in democratic elections.
The building of the Knesset started in 1958 and ended in 1966, and today it serves as the main hub of the Israeli Parliament, located in Givat Ram, in the Government Complex.
The Knesset was carefully planned by the architect Yosef Klarwein, and the buildings in the complex are designed to hold national and symbolic meanings. These include the Knesset Menorah in the entrance to the complex, donated by the British parliament; the General Assembly Hall; the Chagall Lounge that tells the story of the Jewish people through Mark Chagall's art, and others.